Monday, February 23, 2009

Angus, thongs and full-frontal snogging - confessions of Georgia Nicholson


Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging: Confessions of Georgia
Nicholson
by Louise Rennison
Published by Harpertempest
1999
image retrieved - http://www.dyestat.com/3store/Smart%20Boys%20and%20Fast%20Girls.jpg


Plot Summary

This is the hilarious diary of Georgia Nicholson, a fourteen year old british girl who writes about her everyday dramatic and muddled teenage life. Throughout the book we learn about her adoring yet troublesome mixed-breed wildcat, Angus; her little sister, Libby, who frequently pees in Georgia's bed, but whom she loves; her best friend Jas; and 'the sex god' Robbie, who Georgia is crazy about.
During the year that this journal takes place, Georgia faces many challenges. Her father has to move to New Zealand for lack of work in England, she has friend troubles and her nose is not getting any smaller, she dreams of the day when she can have it shrunk, have her eyebrows shaped properly and when she grows breasts.
Oh wait! What will she wear to the party in two weeks? Told from her point of view, her priorities will make any girl giggle, this is a definite knee slapper!

Excerpt: Got dressed in a short skirt, then me and Jas walked up and down to the main road. We wanted to see how many cars with boys in them hooted at us. Ten! (We had to walk up and down for four hours.....still, ten is ten!!!) (page 155)

Comments

I recently fell on the ice and fractured my hand. While waiting in the emergency department of the hospical, surrounded by extremely sick people, I read this book. I really thought that it was my saving grace, thank goodness that I had had the foresight to bring it with me. Georgia's stories encompase all of the teenage characteristics and idiosyncracies that I had when I was a teen (well, hers are more dramatic). The book was so entertaining and funny that I was able to escape into her world and forget about the pain in my hand and the terrible place where I was spending my time.
The predicaments that Georgia finds herself in, her use of gritty yet straightforward language is of an endearing quality. Her insecurities are those of most girls, however, they seem like the end of the world to her. I think that many teenage girls would enjoy this book, for its humour and its dramatised true-life depcitions of the inner workings of straight teenager girls.
I would hight recommend this to any teenage reader.

Age Range - 12-16

Ranking









No comments:

Post a Comment