Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Maya Running

Maya Running
by Anjali Banerjee
Published by Laurel-Leaf
2005
image retrieved - http://www.sfsite.com/gra/0502/mrlg.jpg

Plot Summary

Maya Running is the story of Maya, a thirteen year old Indian-Canadian girl who is growing up in Manitoba in 1978. Being a teenager, she is struggling with her identity, and when her beautiful cousin, Pinky ,visits from India, Maya is faced with many overwhelming emotions; jealousy, confusion and longing for something other than what she has and is experiencing. With these feelings, she turns to the Indian God ,Ganesh for support. Ganesh, who appears in the form of a candy-eating, wish-granting god, grants Maya her wish for a life without obstacles, difficulties and insecurities.

Comments

When I began this book, I thought that I would find it quite interesting. The summary suggests that the reader will embark on an adventure along with Maya, however, I was never able to loose myself in the writing or the story. I had difficulty relating to the main character even though I have lived through many similar feelings of angst.
The fairytale componant of the book was not very exciting, and I found myself questioning the author every step of the way.
The book did offer a positive lesson-learned - embrace what you have - live in the present.

Age Range - 10 - 12

Ranking

No comments:

Post a Comment